Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Do you want to be well?


This post has nothing to do with our adoption really, but I felt called to share. This is the platform I have so here we are.

I believe a lot of people are walking around not feeling good.  There is a reason why so much national attention is going people getting healthy.  I have been on a natural health journey for a few years now. Each year I learn a little bit more, gather a new tool or understand our biochemistry in a way I hadn't before.

I wanted to share what has helped me get to a place where I feel well. I am not perfect but I would like to pass on the tools I have gathered and maybe they will help someone.

I love the question that Jesus asks the lame man in John 5, "Do you want to become well?".   It seems like a silly question but I think Jesus had a point. This man had been laying there for a very long time and to be well would be to completely change his life.

So I am asking you, if you feel bad, do you want to be well?   I am not a doctor but I have learned a lot along the way. It does take change though, major change.

Wellness Tip #1- You have to be spiritually well. I believe the way to do that is through Jesus.  I think Mind, Body and Spirit are more connected than we think.  Through the gift of the Holy Spirit we can have peace, self-control and joy. All these things help us to feel well. You can't ignore the spiritual and expect our minds to be truly well.  Read your Bible, Pray, Worship, Give and Serve.

Wellness Tip #2- Free your mind and the rest will follow. :)   Get some counseling or get in a community where you can actually tell your struggles and your fears. I think everyone would benefit from counseling. If you can't afford it- find a friend who will help you even if it isn't what you want to hear. I really believe, however, that Christian counseling is worth its weight in gold.

Wellness Tip #3- You are what you eat. Don't eat crap. Your intestinal health is the gateway to the rest of your body feeling well. Figure out what foods your body can and can't handle. Eliminate things and test them back out. The Virgin Diet is great for this.  Don't follow fads.  Don't eat gluten free just because everyone else is. Find out if you actually have an intolerance. You can do this with a food allergy panel or through an elimination diet.  I lost 15 pounds and it was not by working out but finding out what my body couldn't handle and eliminating it. You can test foods back out because sensitivities change. Eating real, whole foods will solve so many of our modern day problems. I have seen it with my own eyes. Gut issues, mood issues, hormone issues, thyroid issues  and inflammation issues can all be helped by a clean diet.  Processed food is not good for you. I still have some from time to time but if it comes from a box chances are its not real food.  Read labels. When you eat out, ask for ingredients list. Find out about the chemicals you are eating. Educate yourself. Find out why people are going organic or avoiding GMO's.  Say no. You don't have to have dessert everyday after every meal. You don't have to drink coke everyday. Say no sometimes. Use it as a treat. People say everything in moderation. I love what JJ Virgin says, "Moderation makes you fat". Its a relative term and hard to draw a line.  Find a friend who eats healthy and learn from them.  Bottom line- Have self-control, know what is in your food and where it came from.

Wellness Tip #4- Herbs, Supplements, Minerals and Oils.  When your body needs an extra push on operating correctly there are so many wonderful non-chemical things you can take. This section is about my toolkit.  There are some great books for this. I will post the links at the bottom.  I do want to say that I am not against pharmaceuticals 100%, I just think they are often used as a bandaid. I think sometimes we aren't getting to the root issue. I also think they don't have to be the first line of defense. Try something natural first and if it doesn't work, then try something a bit stronger. When we start to see symptoms, it is because something is deficient in our bodies. So instead of treating the symptoms, why not repair what is not working?  Depending on what the ailment is determines what you can use to help it. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE VITAMINS. B-12, D, E, C and MAGNESIUM are crucial.  Everyday I have a few herbs I take and some supplements. I love essential oils as well.  I would also like to add a note about that. Essential Oils are great and I think they are a big help. However, I think they should be part of a natural health toolkit, not the whole thing.  For example, if you need an amino acid for your neurotransmitters to fire correctly, an oil cannot create that amino acid. It can help with the transmitting and it can help the flight or fight response but the body will need to have that amino acid.  I think they can work together. Now for things like allergies, cramps, snoring and relaxation we love oils. I would just caution you to do your research. Some reps may tell you to ditch your RX and switch to oils. Don't do that without talking to a real doctor or a holistic practitioner. If you have questions about oils and would like to know more, let me know. I will share with you how we use them.

Wellness Tip #5- Find a doctor who will research with you. Find someone who is open to alternative methods as well as traditional methods. THESE ARE HARD TO FIND! If you don't know how to start the process or which questions to ask- I can help you with that.  My doctor and my close friends have been the biggest influencer in moving forward on this journey.  Find someone who is willing to run test after test to figure out what your body is communicating. You have to be your advocate  though. Ask questions and ask for resources. Don't sugarcoat how you feel and do what they say. Take advantage of books, seminars and webcasts that they suggest. Always be learning from them.

Here are the books we use at home:
Herbs, Minerals and Supplements Resource
The Mood Cure
Best Cookbook
Resource Guide for Essential Oils

Oh yeah- You should probably exercise too. I am still working on this one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment